statistics gathering

You are currently browsing articles tagged statistics gathering.

Hole-y data

So the current users graph has a few more holes than expected. I’ve updated the script to be a little more intelligent and poll when it’s not received updated statistics (when it expected them too). Linden Lab/SL statistics aren’t perfect and not updated on time and sometimes not at all, so this will hopefully fill some hole – but it won’t do them all, alas.

We’ll be changing how the statistics are processed in the near future. Currently it’s using an old feed which does not have a timestamp. This means that there isn’t a way to know when the data isn’t being retrived apart from when you get repeated data for a prolonged period of time or noticeably horizontal lines followed by vertical lines on the graphs.

This will be more accurate, but also it will mean more ‘holes’ in the graphs. We hope to change the graphing engine also as well as giving more info on problems with the data.

This might also mean posting slightly more regularly on the site. You never know…

Stats interruption

We seem to have had some DNS issues apparently and lost about one hour, twenty minutes worth of statistic. Not sure if it was my end or Linden Lab end, but it is working again.

As you may have noticed I’ve changed the theme to a new one (Tarski) and tweaked it a bit for width (and purpleness). The theme is still quite simple and easy on the eyes, the pages are more obvious than on the previous theme (Pixkit) and as it’s wider I can put bigger graphs on the page.

I’ve also been working on the statistics gathering script to make it a bit more resilient when LL’s website isn’t entirely forthcoming with it’s statistics. It seems to be working happily (no holes in the graphs), though Second Life hasn’t been giving us problems like it had been recently.